How do I add a product subcategory to my Big Cartel shop?
Filed in Product categories
1. A Big Cartel subcategory is added in much the same way a normal category is added. Follow the instruction provided by support article How do I add a product category to my Big Cartel shop? up to step 5, “Enter your new category name…”.
2. Before entering your subcategory name, first identify the Parent Category, i.e. the category under which your new subcategory will be located. For example, let’s say our Parent Category is Clothing.
Products must always be added to the Parent Category, so we have checked Clothing accordingly in our example.
3. A new category added using the standard process (refer How do I add a product category to my Big Cartel shop?) will become a subcategory if we simply follow the subcategory naming structure:
Parent Category Name - Subcategory Name
The parent category name must be written exactly as it appears in the category list and the parent and subcategory names must be separated by ” - ” (note the space either side of the hyphen).
So if the subcategory we wish to add in our example is Pants, then the name we enter will be:
Clothing - Pants
It is good practice to drag your new subcategory to group it with the parent category.
4. Finally, check the subcategory if you wish to assign it to the current product.
Always click the Save button at the bottom of your page edit controls when you are finished adding subcategories.
Like all product categories, subcategory links will not be displayed in your menus until products are added to them.
- How do I display a category description, image or other content?Products & Categories
- How do I use my artist categories?Products & Categories
- How do I add a product category to my Big Cartel shop?Products & Categories
- How do I manage my categories and sub-categories in Big Cartel?Products & Categories
- Extended Category ControlsProducts & Categories